Isolation – or disconnection – has a profound effect on the human brain and body and can lead to frustration, overwhelm, anxiety and depression and significantly, unfulfilled potential and while emotional isolation is not a unique experience for rural women, geographic isolation can compound any propensity an individual may have towards feeling disconnected from others and themselves.
And when we think about our rural location in these terms, living here COULD be doing us more harm than good.
And it’s ironic really, because according to ‘legend’ (and all the city folk who want to escape the ‘rat race’ and come and live in the country) living ‘rural’- in relative isolation – is supposed to be amazing – full of people who get you, help you, raise you up and support you.
Rural living is supposed to be a delightful Utopia where all your ‘troubles melt like lemondrops’ and where there’s connection to land and neighbours, no commute and plenty of free time to spend frolicking in the wide open spaces…
And some of the times that’s true.
Until it isn’t.
For many women living a rural life (and we don’t just mean on the land..we mean women in small towns, villages, regional cities)regardless of age, stage or status, can feel like a spiral of isolation, disconnection, not belonging, being misunderstood and the daily grind.
It can feel like constant failure, fielding questions about WHY are you making this choice (you could be so successful in the city) and missing out on everything that seems to be just out of your reach or is everywhere else other than where you are!
You ask yourself – where are the services and support and why am I so alone?
It can feel like you are the only tall poppy, that everything you say and do is contrary to the popular belief and that you really are only just holding it together…and this ideal life you thought you’d have or are supposed to have, has become something you want to escape from (crazy since there are literally tv shows called ‘escape to the country’).
The more you think about it.
The worse it gets.
But what if, your greatest barrier to success turned out to be your most powerful asset?
What if this period of time where you’ve felt isolated and disconnected was actually the ultimate secret to your success?
I’m sure you’ve heard of the Galapagos islands!
A magical, mysterious place in the middle of the ocean where there is a veritable feast for the senses of uniqueness and wonderment?
Researcher Daniel Orelana says ‘ The Galapagos Archipelago is one of the most important ecological spots on the planet due its unique biodiversity, active geology, and relatively well-preserved ecosystems.”
And how is this possible?
I’m glad you asked, because it turns out that the Galapagos Islands superpower is actually (drum roll please…)
The reason it is a haven for its inhabitants who are unique and amazing and precious to the world, is precisely the disconnection it has from other land masses and deep connection to itself – and therefore devoid of human impact to force change!
“Galapagos’ geographical isolation is therefore of major value.”
– Daniel Orlena
This is an incredibly exciting revelation for those of us who live in geographical isolation – if we choose to flip our thinking on it….!
The challenge for Galapogas, of course (and for us living in a rural area) is that more and more people are going there with tourism and scientific researchers increasing every year and so, the pristine, untouched ecology is changing – which of course, we feel sad about, because, inevitably, its current value changes.
It’s the same thing people feel about their rural locations and their life.
There’s so much coming in from the outside we’re overwhelmed and we love to hate it.
On one hand, we want the peace and quiet and simplicity of a lifestyle – at the same time as we want connection to all the services and support and stuff that non rural living would provide.
We feel like we’re missing out constantly at the same time as just wanting to disappear!
A real Catch 22 as they say.
But what if you could have it all?
Isolation in your rural life AND the freedom, success and happiness you crave?
In these situations, most people think ‘the grass is always greener on the other side,’ I’m sure you are familiar with this commonly used expression!
This expression means that ‘good stuff’ is somewhere else other than where you are and that no matter how hard you work or what you do, it’s always ‘over there’ which causes disappointment, frustration and a sense of hopelessness.
It’s how we feel about Galapagos (and one of the reasons it’s ecology is under threat) we think that it’s the greener place..that if we just go there, understand it, study it, experience all of it’s amazingness will be ours…
But the truth of the matter is that
It may seem obvious to say this, – but….it’s true and for anyone who has experienced drought conditions (which would be just about every rural woman) will know this – that when you ‘add water (ergo rain) to the environment – the weeds and grass and trees become green again!
And all our attention on things ‘on the other side’ is distracting us from the very gift and opportunity right under our feet (a bit like Dorothy who was wearing her ticket home the whole time… ‘you always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself’!
Our power IS our ISOLATION AND OUR RURAL LOCATION!!
The reason the Galapagos is so incredibly rich and abundant in biodiversity and ‘green grass’ metaphorically speaking, is because its only focus has been on being itself – being a natural environment #evolving and #thriving without the over domination of external authorities and rules and systems – just its own knowing that it is perfect just as it is.
It doesn’t doubt it’s power….it IS its power!
So what damage is this belief that isolation is killing us and that something better is ‘on the other side’ doing to us?
Well, let me be honest here and let you know that I actually reached out to the AMAZING rural women in our community to ask this question and it BROKE MY HEART reading some of the answers, I actually shed tears it made me so sad that we, collectively were so lost in our isolation…
But I have to share these, because if it’s true for these women, it could be true for you and I want you to know – you are not alone and that there is another way!
Our pain of isolation means…
And here’s the truth – if we KEEP believing that isolation is killing our dreams AND that the green grass is beyond us, then none of these things will ever be any different, despite ALL the things we are doing to change it..
How do I know this?
Because rural women also tell us that they HAVE done things to try to ‘fix’ these problems….things like
Only to discover that ….
The same sense of isolation and desperation remains and that nothing has changed.
When a flower doesn’t bloom you change the environment, not the flower’ Alexander den Heijer
The good news is that there ARE rural women out there, just like you, who are harnessing their isolation to their biggest advantage, loving their rural life, claiming freedom, success, prosperity and happiness and #bloomingwheretheyare –and if THEY can – YOU can too!
That’s great – but what did THEY do – that you aren’t doing yet?
Sounds amazing right?
All too good to be true?
Of course….that’s why I’ve asked them to tell you just how amazing it is..
I joined THE Rural Woman in 2014 when I was at a turning point, feeling isolated, alone and unsure of what to do next. In the ensuing years, with support from the Mentors and weekly training, I had the confidence to back myself and start my own business, which now supports me and my family and enables me to do work I love with people I want to help and support. I have connected with other incredible rural women through online and offline events, made new friendships, formed fun and powerful collaborations and my dreams are coming true. I can connect with all of this without leaving my hometown and I never feel isolated or unsure what to do next because I just turn to THE Rural Woman for support, guidance, motivation, education and inspiration!
They joined THE Rural Woman Bloom Continuing Professional & Personal Development (CPPD)!
THE Rural Woman Bloom CPPD supports isolated women to regain their connection to freedom, happiness and success through an online hub providing deep connection and community-created holistic continuous learning and support.
|What we offer||The #blooming outcome|
|Overcome isolation through powerful online Networking||
|Be positioned as the Expert in your field, expand your reach and gain expertise through peer to peer learning and sharing||
|Gain new skills, experience and confidence in areas that matter to you through Online Courses on dozens of different topics||
|Connect with advice, new skills, ideas and fun through Events||
|Engage in meaningful discussion, connection and develop new networks and friendships in Groups||
|Accountability - helping you achieve your goals and dreams||
|Improve your confidence in all aspects of life/business/contribution through peer to peer & 1:1 Mentoring||
Overcome isolation through powerful online Networking
- I am tapped into an enormous and supportive network and I know I can have a much bigger reach and impact which makes me so excited (andI don’t have to go anywhere to connect to it)!
- I feel more connected than ever through the online community and love meeting new women I’ve connected with here, when I travel to their towns
Be positioned as the Expert in your field, expand your reach and gain expertise through peer to peer learning and sharing
- My wisdom and knowledge is valued and appreciated and has places for it to be heard
- I feel like I am connecting to knowledge, from all generations and all kinds of people, I would otherwise miss out on
- There are great opportunities to learn from smart rural women who understand my specific needs and challenges
- There are lots of ways I can share my knowledge and as a result connect with new clients, customers and collaborators
Gain new skills, experience and confidence in areas that matter to you through Online Courses on dozens of different topics
- I can tailor my learning based on my needs at the time rather than having to just focus all attention on one thing
- I no longer feel like I’m missing out and I feel like I have so many amazing choices, I’m like a kid in a candy store!
- I have developed new business management skills that are serving me well as I transition from full time employment to self employment
- I have an easy to reference place to go for all the business tools I need to be successful
- My business is growing and I am feeling so successful as I apply all the learnings from the courses
Connect with advice, new skills, ideas and fun through Events
- The online access to schedule events makes it easy to prioritise my personal and professional development a priority, without having to travel miles and disrupt everything.
- All aspects of my life are improving - relationships, my work, our financial abundance and my happiness all from showing up each week to learn something new (and then apply it)
- I love that the events I cant’ show up for live are recorded and I could listen or watch them later
- As a result of participation in the weekly Digital Tech training I now feel confident with technology so I can keep up with my kids and grandkids
- I have amazing business education at my fingertips that I don’t have to leave home for
- I know I can learn new things easily and enjoy the challenge of improving my human, digital and business skills
Engage in meaningful discussion, connection and develop new networks and friendships in Groups
- I experience women actually supporting women
- I have a quick reference brainstrust of incredible women where I turn when I’m stuck - where I get the answer and didn’t have to spend hours googling or doing another ‘course’
- I am asked to contribute and I appreciate that, I feel like I matter
Accountability - helping you achieve your goals and dreams
- have access to an incredible group of smart women where I can brainstorm and share ideas to help me grow
- Encouraged and supported me to do what I love – sewing, reading, exercise, eating well, riding, gardening & having a bath!
- I am shown the best tools for the job and don’t have to ‘hunt’ for the information
- The weekly connection holds me accountable to achieve my dreams, take action and show up - this has ripple effects in all areas of my life
Improve your confidence in all aspects of life/business/contribution through peer to peer & 1:1 Mentoring
- This is the start of my journey to awareness, happiness and being a new person.
- I am shown the best tools for the jobs I need done and can then confidently connect with them to use and apply them
- The confidence I have gained from being part of this community has meant I’ve taken all kinds of risks and they’ve paid off big time. I feel more free, happy and successful than I ever have!
THE Rural Woman BLOOM CPPD has been specifically developed for women who are
What you will access when you join BLOOM CPPD
Some other ‘side benefits’ of Bloom Membership are
CONNECTION & CONTINUITY
Despite everything we’ve said already about Galapagos,reminding you that your isolation IS Your superpower and having said all that we want to tell you – you don’t have to be an actual island to get the value of being an island (make sense or did I take the metaphor too far?).
Anyway, what I mean to say is that we know
When the student is ready, the teacher appears and since 2014 we’ve had HUNDREDS of rural women tell us that this is true for them too.
#alltheansersliewithin – you just need to connect to it!
Connection is the antidote to isolation.
You’ve just got to connect to the RIGHT things at the RIGHT time and that’s where THE Rural Woman is most powerful.
We encourage all our members to ask the question..
‘What do I need right now’
And then go to the community.theruralwoman.com to find it.
The definition of continuity is – the unbroken and consistent existence or operation of something over time.
That’s what THE Rural Woman is.
It’s the unbroken and consistent connection to the innate wisdom of yourself and other rural women.
And the women who appreciate, value and embrace the continuity of THE Rural Woman Bloom Membership get the results.
A 2 day conference
Access to hundreds of courses
Introductions and referrals and great support and feedback from smart women including lawyers, accountants, consultants, healers, clinicians?
Weekly workshop with subject matter experts
Total cost – $35,300 conservatively
Yep, bet you never did the math on that
The AMAZING news is that THE Rural Woman Bloom Membership costs less than 0.8% of that..
All you’ll pay for 1 year – $299USD Or Per month – $33.99
We actually worked out that it currently equates to just $1/event (if you went to all 100 events in 12 months)….or the price of a cup of coffee a week.
Why USD? We are an Australian based enterprise but our service is charged in USD through the platform we use as that is the only currency they operate in currently (we are hoping by OCT 2021 this will be updated). In the meantime please use this currency converter https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/ OR the rough estimate of $45-50 AUD/month and $400-$450 AUD/year depending on the exchange rate!